• Announcements

• Editor

Civil Discourse is Back!

Civil Discourse, established in 2000, is up and running again after a hiatus. Ours is a boutique web site with a tight group of enthusiasts dedicated to substantive, amicable discussion. We are always happy to welcome like-minded contributors to the forum, regardless of their political, religious or philosophical leanings. Please join our effort to bring civility to online conversation. Click here to learn what CD is all about, here to see our master forum page and here for tips on starting or joining discussions. Register as yourself or under a pseudonym, and you'll soon be eligible to start new conversations, plunge into current debates, and jump-start dormant topics on which you have fresh ideas. If you're not receiving our weekly updates, click your name at the top of any page and be sure you've entered your e-mail address correctly. Send questions and suggestions to EditorCivilDiscourse@yahoo.com. Tell your friends about us, and let's all get Civilized.
Guest Larry in Homeland CA

The Vetting Of Gov. Palin

178 posts in this topic

We had eight years of moron and one year of elite. Can we give the elites a few more years to finish cleaning up the mess and the debt thar Bush/Cheney left behind

America deserves better than another "D" student.

Just my iPhone blogging two cents worth (it's tough typing with all thumbs and no spell check)

IF the President doesn't put the country back to work, he's a one termer, period.

Even with that, the media, and the empty barrels on the right ( they make the most noise!) are making Little Miss Sound Byte their poster child for what "real" Americans want. Maybe so, but if she were to become President in 2012, this country will be much the worse for it. Sticking their collective tongue out at the "intellectuals" and the "Left", will not excuse the gross incompetence of this woman and her lack of desire at improving her knowledge of national and international topics. But, I guess that's part of "taking OUR country back", with our guns, if needed. Let's punish the country by electing someone LESS competent than George Bush.

To me, it's just another indication of how lazy this country is becoming. We want instant gratification all the time, and the latest version of X-Box, NOW! The hell with solving , or trying solve real problems. What's the latest celebrity scandal? Who's pregnant? By whom? IF it's not salacious I don't want to hear about it ( This is all sarcasm, folks)

We want instant gratification all the time, and the latest version of X-Box, NOW! The hell with solving , or trying solve real problems. What's the latest celebrity scandal? Who's pregnant? By whom? IF it's not salacious I don't want to hear about it ( This is all sarcasm, folks)

I think this is right on the mark and precisely Obama's problem at the moment. The economy is starting to turn around and jobs will come back eventually too - maybe even by November there will be public perception of this turn around.

Reagan had similar problems with the economy at this stage of his administration. He too was deemed a certain one-termer but managed to turn that around once everyone saw the economy was moving forward. I think a similar outcome is possible for Obama.

The number of congressional democrats bailing on the 2010 elections isn't helping matters though. If anything it underscores the feeling that Obama is captaining a sinking ship.

One big difference between Reagan and Obama is terrorism. There's really no comparison to the Cold War because the Soviets were not going to attack - they fully understood what the consequence would be (no matter who was president). If terrorists even think of a consequence, they clearly don't care.

3 domestic terrorist attacks on Obama's watch so far and belatedly he seems to be getting the big picture. Obama's diplomatic initiatives had to be tried but rather than defusing to situation, they increase the perception he is weak (like Carter).

All this bodes well for someone like Palin - no one thinks she'll deliberate for months to make a decision on any issue. On the other hand, Obama tends to take too long to make decisions. Palin is the perfect candidate for those with a short attention span.