• Announcements

• Editor

Civil Discourse is Back!

Civil Discourse, established in 2000, is up and running again after a hiatus. Ours is a boutique web site with a tight group of enthusiasts dedicated to substantive, amicable discussion. We are always happy to welcome like-minded contributors to the forum, regardless of their political, religious or philosophical leanings. Please join our effort to bring civility to online conversation. Click here to learn what CD is all about, here to see our master forum page and here for tips on starting or joining discussions. Register as yourself or under a pseudonym, and you'll soon be eligible to start new conversations, plunge into current debates, and jump-start dormant topics on which you have fresh ideas. If you're not receiving our weekly updates, click your name at the top of any page and be sure you've entered your e-mail address correctly. Send questions and suggestions to EditorCivilDiscourse@yahoo.com. Tell your friends about us, and let's all get Civilized.
Quiet Rain

The Not Crazy One

4 posts in this topic

From today's news....

WASHINGTON -- New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie ® lit into House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) and House Republicans Wednesday for not holding a vote on a Hurricane Sandy relief bill.

"There is only one group to blame for the continued suffering of these innocent victims: the House majority and their speaker, John Boehner," he said. "This is not a Republican or Democratic issue. Natural disasters happen in red states and blue states and states with Democratic governors and Republican governors. We respond to innocent victims of natural disasters, not as Republicans or Democrats, but as Americans. Or at least we did until last night. Last night, politics was placed before oaths to serve our citizens. For me, it was disappointing and disgusting to watch."

I've felt for awhile that we were seeing Governor Christie position himself very carefully as the "not crazy one" for the GOP. Let's face it, the lot they had to choose a candidate from the last time were all pretty much unelectable. What other reason would they have for fielding such an obvious dud as RMoney? What has always gotten the GOP over the top with presidential elections has been their ability to field candidates that a moderate independent could look at and think "Well, he's not 100% what I would wish but he doesn't seem crazy and you never know when there's greatness hiding behind simple 'not crazy'ness." Or, that's sort of what THIS moderate independent thinks many times anyway.

What's the sense of the convention? Is the governor going to take a run at the 2016 prize? I think he's definitely considering it seriously ( I mean, notice the trademark registration bug next to his name? What else could it mean? Haha).

Christie cannot help but be thinking about the possibility of running however he has some serious problems to overcome within the Republican rank and file. He may be as much a Republican as Joe Lieberman was a Democrat. I like independent thinkers and Christie does follow his own drum-beat but I doubt seriously that he is temperamentally suited to the office... he strikes me as having a bit too much Howard Dean in him.

I am not sure if Christie is electable or not. Hard to say there is not a Howard Dean moment coming. I mean, he is after all from New Jersey (I can say that because I am too) and that increases the chances. I want to say he is electable because I think he is more of what we need. I characterize this as straight talk. Not pandering, placating or otherwise talking to the general population like they are idiots (I think only about 20% are). He has also demonstrated leadership and actually gotten some difficult things done with (I believe) a state legislature with a majority of the other party. This is sorely missing in DC. From the presidency throughout the leadership of both houses.

Unfortunately, I do think his weight will be a significant issue.

Christie's weight and temperament are legitimate concerns, but I'm still rooting for the guy. A national party can't have too many not crazy/not ideological leaders. And who knows? The Big Guy might be a gastric bypass away from the Oval Office.