• Announcements

• Editor

Civil Discourse is Back!

Civil Discourse, established in 2000, is up and running again after a hiatus. Ours is a boutique web site with a tight group of enthusiasts dedicated to substantive, amicable discussion. We are always happy to welcome like-minded contributors to the forum, regardless of their political, religious or philosophical leanings. Please join our effort to bring civility to online conversation. Click here to learn what CD is all about, here to see our master forum page and here for tips on starting or joining discussions. Register as yourself or under a pseudonym, and you'll soon be eligible to start new conversations, plunge into current debates, and jump-start dormant topics on which you have fresh ideas. If you're not receiving our weekly updates, click your name at the top of any page and be sure you've entered your e-mail address correctly. Send questions and suggestions to EditorCivilDiscourse@yahoo.com. Tell your friends about us, and let's all get Civilized.
Joe McQuade

Civil Discourse and HTML

3 posts in this topic

Q: Why won't the site accept HTML code within posts?

A: Our tech adviser tells us a bad actor could cripple the site with HTML abuse, were he given the chance. So we've disabled that capability for all but our moderators. If a member posts HTML code in a post, a moderator will later enable HTML on such entries on a case-by-case basis.

Q: Any time I "paste" something from another application in one of my posts the html codes appear. I have no clue why. I will leave it to you to clean up the mess if you want. Tell your tech guy that there was a variety of other applications (WordPerfect word processor on my computer, the Springpad net application, and a couple of others) that were used so it doesn't appear to be only one cause.

Sorry 'bout that... but I don't know how to get around "cutting and pasting" on a site like this one.

A: Cutting and pasting is a great thing. For the security reason discussed above, we do not permit members to use HTML tools. One consequence is that imbedded code appears when HTML documents are imported here.

The work-around we've settled on is for moderators to enable HTML on selected posts when this anomaly appears in them.

Q: I went to edit the post (in which you removed the HTML code) and all that stuff came back. AAARGH. If you fix it I promise I won't touch it again.

A: No problem! Edit as often as you wish, and I'll just use the three keystrokes necessary to make it right again each time, as I've just done.