• Announcements

• Editor

Civil Discourse is Back!

Civil Discourse, established in 2000, is up and running again after a hiatus. Ours is a boutique web site with a tight group of enthusiasts dedicated to substantive, amicable discussion. We are always happy to welcome like-minded contributors to the forum, regardless of their political, religious or philosophical leanings. Please join our effort to bring civility to online conversation. Click here to learn what CD is all about, here to see our master forum page and here for tips on starting or joining discussions. Register as yourself or under a pseudonym, and you'll soon be eligible to start new conversations, plunge into current debates, and jump-start dormant topics on which you have fresh ideas. If you're not receiving our weekly updates, click your name at the top of any page and be sure you've entered your e-mail address correctly. Send questions and suggestions to EditorCivilDiscourse@yahoo.com. Tell your friends about us, and let's all get Civilized.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
S. Theet

Dress Gray (Book Review)

1 post in this topic

Dress Gray, by Lucian K. Truscott

If written today, I'm certain that Dress Gray would be even grittier. That being said, for the time it was published, it was an impressive review of West Point. The mystery surrounding the death of a cadet causes the underbelly of the military academy to be exposed and one of its most loyal cadets to question his views.

Well presented and thought provoking (although in dire need of better editing.)

I do believe the basic honorable qualities of the institution are preserved but, again, the reader may come away with a differing opinion than mine on that point. The author clearly has a negative view and that bleeds into even the obvious attempt to present an unbiased view. I guess it all depends on what the reader's view of military academies in general and West Point in particular might be. Mine is very supportive so I can and did come away from this with an unchanged view: Those academies, thought targeting honor, are run by humans some of which may be honorless.

This review, originally published on Amazon by our Au Courant under the pen name Dog Lover, is one of several available at www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/A2WC63IB2EUVEO?ie=UTF8&ref_=sv_ys_4, where the book also can be purchased.